Monday, May 4, 2009

a little update on my plans

Last Friday morning, as I got ready to surrender to sleep after burning the midnight oil with my last school project, I received an email from my school administrator.

The news? I'm not graduating.

Apparently somewhere along the way I got poor advising and/or didn't triple check my scheduling and/or was using the wrong audit sheet, and I'm actually two classes short of a degree.

I had prayed--lots of people had been praying--that I would be able to stay in Bloomington. As usual, God answered that prayer in a way I didn't expect.

So I'll be staying for at least the next seven or eight weeks (YAY!), and in the mean time I'm applying to lots of jobs here at IU, in the hopes that I can stay for another year (and get fee remission on any other classes). If you're a pray-er, would you pray that God would do something fantastic through all this?


^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

As I prepare for the Summer, whatever it may look like, I've been gathering a list of reading and writing projects. I'll spare you the nuances, but if you have questions, comments, suggestions, or ideas for other things to add to the list, let me know!

Reading (obviously not a comprehensive list):

The Book Thief / Zusak
Spiritual Direction / Nouwen
The Return of the Prodigal Son / Nouwen
The Little Prince / Saint-Exupéry
The Hobbit / Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings (series) / Tolkien
Religion is a Queer Thing / Stuart
Real Sex / Winner
The Dream Giver / Wilkinson (I know, but it was recomended)
The awesome series that Christina is going to lend me
We Were the Mulvaneys / Oates (Saw her speak this year = excellent)
The Anarchist in the Library / Siva
The Harry Potter series / Rowling

...that should be a good start, at least for May.


I have lots of little blogging and writing topics, but the big one that I'll have to research: Christianity and the body. Gnosticism, fasting, eating, ritual, pleasure/pain, body-of-Christ, incarnation, healing?, creation/gender, body image, and the physical experience of life. If you have reading suggestions, please tell me about them!

Next up: Gems from the church library book give-away...

No comments: