Friday, May 15, 2009

Gems from the church library: Jesus the Good Shepherd

Our church library has been around since the early 70s, and browsing through the shelves, you can definitely tell. This year, the library committee looked at every book and weeded out all the ones that haven't been checked out in 15 years, or that were just...well, you'll see.

We gave away almost all of these books a few weeks ago, desperately hoping they won't be re-donated after another 15 years of shelf-time on the bookshelves of church members. I snagged a couple good ones, like George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin, and a couple that were so awful that I wanted to bring them home and share them with you.

First up, by Sylvia Diamon and illustrated by Victor Mitchell:


It's a cute book, for 1976. Simple lessons about Jesus, with activity pages in between.

But oh, the illustrations.

Prepare yourself to meet the Jesus you never knew.


You're welcome to click on these images for a closer look.

I especially encourage it so that you can buy these shoes. And pants. Really, the whole ensemble.


I have so many things I want to say, but I'm not sure how to make fun of this without blaspheming.

So I'll leave it up to you. Comments welcome.

3 comments:

Mateo said...

Why did they draw Jesus without a neck?!

seg said...

at least they got the sheep right

MBK said...

oh my.

you're right, beth. it's hard to make fun of this... in an appropriate way.

but I'm guessing that Jesus would laugh at it too.