Oh, that I might repose on You! Oh, that You would enter into my heart and inebriate it, that I may forget my ills and embrace You, my sole good! What are You to me? In Your pity, teach me to utter it. Or what am I to you that you demand my love, and, if I do not give it, are angry with me and threaten me with grievous woes? Is it then a slight woe not to love You? Oh, for Your mercies' sake, tell me, Lord my God, what You are to me. "Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation" (Ps. 35:3). So speak, that I may hear. Behold, Lord, my heart is before You; open the ears of it, and "say unto my soul, I am thy salvation." After this voice let me run and take hold on You. Do not hide Your face from me. Let me die--for fear that I die--only let me see Your face.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
only let me see Your face
I'm only on the sixth page of Augustine's Confessions. This book cannot be swallowed whole.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
uh.... wow.
Post a Comment