Monday, November 19, 2007

praise and thanksgiving


This has been a day of one blessing after another, of God making his power and glory evident in my life from beginning to zed. To let it go by without testifying to that would be denying my God glory that he deserves...so join me in praising him for these things!

Ophelia
Ophelia is my truck, and a lovely truck she is. Last Thursday her brakes went out. I managed to get her to a service station, a Midas where they diagnosed $650 worth of problems: much more than I'm willing to spend. Midas said it was likely that in doing the repair more problems would occur. This morning I was grouchy after calling an independent mechanic and hearing him offer to do twice the work for 2/3 the price, but that would require a tow that would put me over my budget.

So what did God do? Over the weekend, he provided me with all kinds of transportation in the form of my friends and my feet. I didn't miss out on anything I was hoping to do because of lack of transportation, even when they were far from my apartment. He also gave me friends with great advice about what to do. A mechanic friend from NY even offered to fly here and fix it himself (whoa!). Then God answered my prayers that the people at Midas wouldn't break things worse or find too much corrosion to make it drivable, and the repair went smoothly. Finally, my loan money got deposited just in time to help cover this work.


Crestmont
I've been heading up a new Renovo ministry for the kids in government-aided housing nearby, but the ministry hasn't been able to get off the ground and has become a real burden to me. Last week, a leader I was counting on stepped down. But God gave my mentor and I a new vision for the ministry, one that is more feasible and sustainable. This morning I got the go-ahead from the Renovo leadership, and right after that I met with a girl who wants to help out. Her specialty area in her IU studies? Event planning. I'm so excited, and so grateful that God's put people in my life to share the responsibility for ministry, reignite my passion for service, and work together with me as the body of Christ. Synergy? It's a God-thing.


Thanksgiving
So first I was going to stick around for Thanksgiving break, get caught up, and hang with other friends that would be around. Then I decided to go home, since my family is going through a rough time. Then my truck broke, so I couldn't go home, but my friends had already made alternate plans for the holiday and the weekend, and my lack-of-truck meant spending the weekend home alone. It was looking bleak, even when I managed to get myself excited about the opportunity to have a real retreat with God.

Then God stepped in. A friend offered me her car for the weekend. She also encouraged me to ask a couple other people about joining their festivities, and only because of that encouragement I did and was invited along. (And it's a gathering with not only one, but many friends whom I love!) I was offered some hours at work on Saturday, and a friend agreed to meet with me on Friday, and then I was invited to another family's Thanksgiving celebration on Sunday afternoon (which I could accept because my truck was fixed)!!! I had even tossed around the idea of having people over for dinner on Wednesday, which has now been incorporated into a grander scheme in which I get to enjoy friends, food, and fun but at someone else's house, so I don't even have to clean. I still have ample time for schoolwork, and ample time (if there is such a thing) for prayer and Biblical inquiry, and maybe even ample time for reading a novel. My bleak weekend has become a real break, ripe with possibilities for fun and blessing and all manner of good things. And it's all God's doing.


Dan said last Sunday that we should look for little God-glories in the preaching of the word at church. Really, though, those God-glories are everywhere. He's alive and active in this world, in your life and in mine. Do you see it? If so, I'd be so glad to hear about what he's doing. The more the merrier in this--this is worship! Let's glorify God together, both for what he's done and for who he is. He's worthy of all our praise and thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worship! Yes! I want to testify, and especially to you because you won't think I'm a complete wierdo. I have been enjoying (enjoying?) yes, enjoying the chastening of the Lord. The Lord allowed one of the busiest weeks of my life to bring me to a point of crisis which revealed the sin of envy in my heart. I awoke last Sunday morning so agitated that I knew God and I had to deal with it right away. As God began to bring clarity to the cause, I began repenting. (I was feeling terrible jelousy of people who have had/ are having impressive careers.) By the time I got to church, God I were at least clear on the problem.

Pastor Wes has been preaching the 10 commandments. He was on the
10th - do not covet. My heart was pierced over and over, and THEN we celebrated communion. As I walkied down the aisle, we sang "How Deep the Father's Love For Us." The exact part was "Why should I gain from His reward?" I was undone. I spent several moments weeping at the altar. After the service, I couldn't stop weeping, and I had the strongest feeling inside to have Pastor Wes pray for me. I wsn't sure he would have time, but I was able to speak to him. Through the sobs, I explained that I was under conviction for sin. He asked for my confession, so I told him the basics. Then he prayed for me, and the peace of God flowed over me.

I love seeing the body of Christ work. Does it get any better than having the word of God bring conviction, repenting during the celebration of the Lord's supper, confessing our sins to one another, and having a spiritual authority pray God's forgiveness and peace over you?

I rejoice with you over God's provision for you over the holiday.

Unknown said...

I was just searching for a new image to put on a site, so i wanted to put God's fingers (once my mother told that the sun rays coming from the clouds are it), and found this site, that shares God's glory in simple things!

how wonderful He is!