
Above all, love each other deeply...
1 Peter 4:8
One of the books I've read this break has been George MacDonald's The Baronet's Son. It came highly recommended by a person I have highest regard for, and it was indeed a delightful story. The main character is a mute orphan, and his highly romanticized life is one of utmost service. Unable to defend himself with words, this Gibbie endures hardship silently and loves everyone with complete selflessness. He accept the love of others but does not seek it: rather, his entire focus is on helping and working for the best interests of all those he meets.
The love of God is utterly selfless and continually giving. Christians are also called to this love, love of action rather than speech, love that cheerfully sacrifices self without a second thought, love that serves the best interests of everyone we meet. Such love is a joy, not a burden! I think, though, that my own love for others often has strings attached: if not visible caveats, certainly an inner hope that my love will at least be requited.
As many of my friends (and I) continue to ponder, discuss, and in some cases seek romantic love, it strikes me that (despite all the attention it gets) such love is not the highest love to which we are called. Romantic love is so often inherently selfish: it generally expects back the love that it gives. This is not inherently bad, perhaps--I certainly believe that romantic love can have an important role in one's life. But God has something more for our lives, something better. If romance will distract from growing in the perfect agape of God, then away with it! I want romance in my life to look like utter selflessness and service between a man of God and a woman of God, and until then may it escape me.
1 comment:
... which is why Christian romance novels make me throw up in my mouth a bit.
and, why 'captivating' is so wrong, but that's another conversation for another day ;)
Post a Comment