Sunday, November 18, 2007

thinking all week long

I'm finally nearing the end of a hectic week, which means I can turn some of my energy away from forcing myself to work and turn my thoughts toward...well...thinking.

So here are a few things that have been on my mind:


1. Why don't people want more of God in their lives??? It's a question that bugs me all the time. I know the answers--some of my friends have been shooting me IMs with all the reasons they can think of. But really, He's so wonderful, and gentle, and loving, and good. In Him is freedom, and liberty, and peace, and joy. With Him one need never be lonely, or frightened, or even worried. I don't remember these things always: sometimes I don't live as though He is sufficient. But He is. How are people not attracted to the one who desires to meet all their needs?

I can only think of two reasons, really. The first is that it's terrifying to put any interests before your own. To have a relationship with God means trusting Him and glorifying Him, even (especially?) to the extent of self-sacrifice. (But it ALWAYS worth it.)

The second reason is more troubling: People aren't attracted to God because His people don't make it clear how amazing He is. I don't even know where to go with that, except maybe back to 1 Peter and Acts and other places in the Bible that show us what our lives ought to look like in relation to non-believers. I'm not upset that the church is filled with sinners. That's the way God built it (more of his awesomeness right there). I'm upset that his people are not seeking and finding him, because they're not seeking him with all their hearts. And therefore the world is not seeing Jesus through his church, because his church is not glorifying him. (I think of Dan's last couple blog posts. If that doesn't break your heart...)


2. And now for something completely different. A lot of people I've talked to recently have mentioned that money is tight. I know it is for me. One of my problems is that I don't have good, practical, practiced skills for managing my money. I desire to be a good steward in all that God has given me. Can anyone direct me to people or websites or books that might help me out, or does anyone know of a Crown or other financial ministry Bible study in town?


3. God's creation is amazing.

The Bible says that truth about God is revealed in creation. It's easy to be out in the middle of the woods and awestruck by scenery both beautiful and sublime, but what does each bit reveal about God's nature and character? Take the example of a flower. The color may speak to God's grandeur or subtlety or creativity. The symmetry reveals His ordered nature and flawless aesthetics. The stamen and pistle are mini-images of two-in-one, creative, regenerative life. The way the roots and stem gather and transport water and nutrients, just perfect for survival in this world, according to the physics of Earth, show his ordered glory and care for details. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Look around you--look in the mirror, even! What does God's creation reveal to you?

And on the same note, I have to say that it thrills me to know that non-sentient life (and yes, even the rocks) are glorifying God all the time. The rocks cry out God's glory, for those with eyes to see. The very trees are clapping their hands, cheering Him. (Have you ever listened? Have you ever joined in?). When we stop praising God, the chorus in the fields picks up where we left off. I love that.


Enough for now. Quite possibly more later. I'm full of randomness today.

No comments: