Saturday, December 27, 2008

Friends and God stories

I met up with an old friend for breakfast this morning. We went to Rikki's, the mom and pop dive that every town has, the one that's only open for breakfast and lunch and that's packed ever Saturday morning and Sundays after church. Home fries and chocolate chip pancakes to die for, but the best part about Rikki's is always the friends that you meet there and the coffee you get afterward in the village's favorite cafe -- another place you can't walk into without seeing people you sang with in the high school choir seven years ago.

We caught up on life, shared news about engagements, marriages, and pregnancies among our old circle of friends, heard about school and jobs and churches and boys and life with Christ. In a long distance meet-up-over-the-holidays friendship, it doesn't get much better than that.

After a whirlwind week of Casino Birthday parties, marathon shopping, Christmas Eve Crossdressing (yeah...), gift exchanges, and eighties movie after eighties movie, it was nice to sit with a Christian and think about stories to tell of God's work in my life. It was rich and satisfying and good to hear about God's work in my friend's life. And most of all, it reminded me of all the reasons I have to be thankful, which leads to worship, which leads to joy.

So today, for the first time in a long time, I'm feeling really joyful. And I want to stay in this place of gladness and thanksgiving and joy, so I think I may start blogging a little more of the God stories from my life, and maybe even from other people's lives. No promises, just a heads up. I hope that in sharing stories we're all inspired recognize God's hand in our lives. And inspired to worship.

I'm also realizing how dependent on my Christian community I've become. I'm not sure if it's good or bad, probably a little of both, but my friends and CGroup and church families have become integral in helping me to know and follow Christ. So for all of you that are part of that... which is pretty much everyone that reads this blog, thank you. You inspire me to worship. I am thankful for you. And it brings me joy.

1 comment:

MBK said...

:) This made me smile. Miss you!!! (A week is a looong time)