For me, the past week has been one of profound spiritual rest. I can tell that I am near to God's heart, even when I don't feel it. I think it is a truth that I am beginning to know through faith. Hallelujah!
It is good to be quiet in the presence of our Jesus King, isn't it? The rest here is phenomenal, indescribable, sweet. Knowing that He loves me, has his best for me, and is utterly in control. Lately I've been directing many of my friends to Phillipians 4: 4-7. Rejoice. Relax. Realize God's presence. Don't worry, just pray and praise and let God's peace take over. I'm still a novice at practicing this, but oh, when I do!
This inner quiet proved particularly useful this past week when I had a difficult, emotional encounter with an old friend. In the midst of the turmoil and agony of the situation, I found that my spirit was still at rest. In that stillness I found conviction and direction for my words and behavior. It sounds all profound and was actually quite prosaic, but when the time came for me to make a hard decision, I was able to make it. I praise God for enabling my obedience, for helping me perceive His Spirit and will, and for guarding my heart. It could have been really bad through and through, and it ended up being only a little bit uncomfortable on the outside.
And really, for me, just being able to obey Him against my own will was a huge blessing. I'm not very good at setting aside my own impulses and wishes for those of Christ, but this one time it worked. I've actually had quite a bit of (God-given) success on this front lately. I discovered a new way of fighting off one sin that has been a long-term problem--I focus on how giving in to it will interrupt my closeness to God. I'm miserable when I'm not on good terms with Him, and being close to Him is abundant life, so it's made the choice a lot easier. I feel like whereas before I fought against this sin by yelling at the devil and claiming my stake as God's daughter and asking God to save me from it, now I'm "setting" God right between me and it, so I'm totally secure. (Of course I'm not doing the setting, He's already there, but maybe you know what I mean.)
This training-for-a-half-marathon has been teaching me about self-denial and discipline, too. Because I went and told everyone I know about it, I can't back out or quit even when I want to. Part of it is pride, and part of it is realizing that I've got lots of people pulling for me, and I don't want to disappoint them. It's seriously awesome that so many people care enough to even offer to work out with me! (By the way, I'm blogging about my efforts here, and while it's mostly for a personal record, you're welcome to peruse and/or comment.) Anyway, maybe discipline doesn't have to be as scary as it sounds. Maybe it can just be a person striving after a goal, surrounded with people who are encouraging and helping her along the way.
Isn't that, after all, the kingdom of God? All of us, together and individually, seeking after Christ Jesus, encouraging and helping each other along the way?
1 comment:
I'm glad I was one of the friends that you encouraged with Phil. 4. That truth has definitely brought peace in the past few weeks.
And I like that description of discipline... it makes you focus more on the person, less on the rigidness of rules.
Post a Comment